Pediatric Hospice Care
Methodist Pediatric Hospice, affiliated with Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital
Together with Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital, Methodist Hospice has been providing compassionate care for terminally ill children for over 20 years.
Hospice care for kids takes place both in their homes and in the Methodist Hospice Residence. We develop individualized care plans focused on maintaining the child’s quality of life by keeping him or her as pain-free and comfortable as possible, while encouraging families to live every moment.
We also provide emotional and spiritual support to children and their families. Grief counseling and bereavement support services are available for the family before and after the death of the child.
Pediatric Hospice Care may be appropriate when:
- A child’s life expectancy is months rather than years.
- Curative treatment methods are no longer effective.
- A decline in condition is becoming evident.
- Emergency room or hospital visits become more frequent.
- The focus is on the child’s comfort and quality of life.
- The family wants palliative care at home.
The Pediatric Hospice Team
Our specially trained pediatric Hospice team focuses on the unique needs of our pediatric patients. This team includes:
- A Medical Director available to provide management of the child’s symptoms and consultations, as requested by the attending physician
- Registered nurses to coordinate the plan of care under the direction of the child’s physician
- Social Workers to provide counseling and bereavement support
- Chaplains to provide spiritual counseling
- Hospice Aides to provide personal care to the patient
- Hospice Volunteers to provide supportive services
A Parent’s Experience
“I don’t know what I would have done without Hospice. I was stressed and confused when the doctor told me about Timmy’s problems. The nurse, chaplain, and social worker from Hospice have been very supportive. They have made everything easier for me to handle.”-Rayvrien Dawson, Mother of Timmy Dawson, diagnosed with hydranencephaly