School of Radiologic Science
School Mission Statement and Program Goals
The Methodist University Hospital School of Radiologic Technology will graduate students with the entry-level employment skills required of a registered radiologic technologist. The program will fulfill its mission to the community through the evaluation and achievement of the following goals:
1. Students/graduates will be clinically competent.
- Students/graduates will select appropriate technical factors.
- Students/graduates will utilize proper positioning skills.
- Students/graduates will practice radiation protection for the patient, self, and others.
2. Students will demonstrate problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Students will be able to adapt positioning for trauma patients.
- Students will be able to adjust technical factors for non-routine exams.
- Students will evaluate images for diagnostic quality.
3. Students will be able to communicate effectively with patients, staff, and others.
- Students will demonstrate oral communication skills.
- Students will demonstrate written communication skills.
4. Students will demonstrate an understanding of professionalism.
- Students will maintain an understanding of ethical and professional values.
- Students will understand the importance of professional organizations within the profession.
- Twenty-four month educational program
- All courses taught at Methodist Facilities
- Clinical Education provided by multiple sites throughout the Memphis area (you must provide your own transportation to clinical sites located in Shelby, Fayette, and DeSoto counties)
- Upon completion of the program, the student is eligible for the certifying examination given by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT)
- Successful completion of this examination enables the individual to use the title "Registered Technologist," Radiology, after their name
- We have an articulation agreement with Saint Joseph's College of Maine where students may apply credit from our program towards an Associate's or Bachelor's degree
The radiography program is accredited by:
Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (JRCERT)
20 N. Wacker Drive, Suite 2850
Chicago, Illinois 60606-3128
Fees and Expenses
- $50 non-refundable application fee.
- $5,000 for tuition per school year (does not include personal expenses).
- Approximately $1,000 total for books during the 2 year period. All books must be purchased prior to the beginning of the first day of school.
- $150 non-refundable Activity Fee due the first day of school.
- Approximately $25 annually for malpractice insurance.
Students are also responsible for the cost of meals, clothing, laundry, transportation, and living accommodations. Parking will be free for enrolled students.
- Applicants to the program may qualify for admissions in one of two ways:
- Applicants may already hold a minimum of an Associate’s degree from an accredited college or University.
- Applicants must document 15 college hours in certain subjects. Applicants must document that they have taken a College Algebra, Anatomy and Physiology or Biology, and English Composition or Oral Communication. The remaining hours can be met with a number of different courses. Courses such as Psychology, Sociology, Medical Terminology, Computer Science, Introduction to Radiology, any Natural Science, and any other Math class will meet the requirements for the remaining hours. Other courses may be submitted for review and approval. A minimum of a C average is required in each course.
- Applicants who do not already possess a minimum of an Associate’s degree, must have the minimum of 15 college hours that were described above.
- If an applicant does not hold a degree, then the applicant must be willing to complete the Associate’s degree while enrolled in this program. Under the articulation agreement with Saint Joseph’s College, the applicant must finish the Associate’s degree while enrolled in the radiology program. Please see http://online.sjcme.edu/radiologic-science-programs.php for more information.
- Complete and submit an application which must include:
- Non-refundable application fee of $50.00
- A short essay concerning your desire and decision to become a Radiologic Technologist
- Applicants must have official transcripts sent from high schools and colleges attended documenting a GPA of 2.0 or higher.
- Three letters of reference to be mailed in by the individuals submitting the reference.
- Four hours of observation (scheduled by school office). Observation time is time spent in the radiology department observing radiographers at work.
- Qualified applicants are scheduled for a pre-admission test.
- Qualified applicants who meet the above requirements will be scheduled for an interview with the admissions committee.
The final selection of students is based upon completion of all admission requirements with emphasis being on the scholastic ability of the applicant. The school notifies all applicants in writing whether accepted or rejected.
An equal opportunity is offered each candidate regardless of sex, race, religion, age, national origin or physical disability.
A formal application for admission to the school must be made between Dec 1 - March 1, by filling out an Application for Admission
Dexterity and Health Standards
Ability to exert force and lift objects of 50 pounds with assistance.
Ability to perform simple motor skills for unrestricted time periods
Ability to perform manipulative skills (positioning and assisting patients)
Ability to perform tasks requiring hand-eye coordination
Sufficient eyesight to observe patients, read charts, computer screens, and equipment instructions.
Sufficient hearing to maintain effective communication with members of the healthcare team and patient.
Protection from unnecessary radiation exposure
Good health to maintain the demands of the program in attendance, punctuality, and progress
Download more information
Tuition Refund Policy
Program Effectiveness Data
Melissa Yarbro, MBA, RT(R)
Director, School of Radiologic and Imaging Sciences
1265 Union Avenue
Memphis, TN 38104