Methodist University Hospital is the largest, most comprehensive hospital in the Methodist Healthcare system. It is a 617-bed facility located in the heart of the Memphis Medical Center.
As the major academic campus and principle teaching hospital of the University of Tennessee Health Science Center, we bring together research, medicine and innovation. This partnership supports multidisciplinary collaboration among doctors and clinical team members, leading to more advanced medical care for our patients.
For referrals or appointments, please call 888.777.5959.
Starting July 7, 2013: Relocation of Main Entrance
Due to construction, the hospital's main entrance will be located off Bellevue Avenue.
- A circle drive from Bellevue allows cars to drop off passengers.
- A pedestrian walkway runs along Bellevue, with an entry point at the corner of Bellevue and Eastmoreland.
- Entry to the existing Emergency Room remains on Eastmoreland.
We thank you for your patience while we construct a new Emergency Department.
Amenities and Hours
Family Presence/Visiting Guidelines
Hospital Rooms and Critical Care/ICU
There are no set visiting hours. Partners in Care and close family may be with patients 24/7. Other guests are welcome according to the patient’s preference (including Critical Care/ICU) between 8:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. to respect quiet time and sleeping hours. Hours may vary on some units and floors. Please check with the nurses’ station if you have questions.
Food and Dining
Main Hospital, Ground Level
Take elevators to Lobby (L). The escalator in the Thomas Wing will take you to the cafeteria on the Ground Level.
Hot meals served at the hours listed below, and the grill is open until 1:30 a.m. daily. Snacks and drinks available anytime. You may bring outside food into the dining room. A microwave is available for you.
Monday – Friday
Breakfast: 6:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
Lunch: 10:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Dinner: 4:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.*
*Grill open until 1:30 a.m. daily.
The Plaza Coffee Shop
Main Lobby, Floor 1
Smoothies, gourmet coffee, snacks, drinks and grab and go items available anytime.
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday: 6:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Thursday: 6:30 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Saturday: 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Tower Wing, Floor 1 (near Lobby)
Fresh and silk flowers and plants, balloons, gifts, cards, drinks and snacks are available. Phone orders are welcome with free delivery within the Methodist University Hospital.
Monday – Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Saturday: 9:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Main Lobby, Floor 1 (near Admissions Desk)
Family Care Center
Near Main Lobby, Floor 1
Main Lobby, Floor 1 (inside Plaza Coffee Shop)
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Tuesday: 7:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Thursday: 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Saturday: 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Free WiFi is available through the GUEST network. You'll be prompted to accept Methodist's terms and conditions by clicking the "I accept" button. The connection will automatically time out after eight hours of inactivity.
Visitors can park in any hospital lot for free. The main parking lot is located on Eastmoreland Ave.
When you check in to the hospital, you'll have the option of setting up an account for the myMethodist Patient Portal, where you can view at-home care instructions, lab results, and follow-up appointments. You can also use it to pay your bill online.
901.516.6660 or 901.516.6530
Security and Escorts
You may request a security officer to escort you to your car. Please dial “0” and ask the hospital operator for assistance. For your safety, security services are available 24 hours a day.
Snack and drink machines are located on most floors. The nursing station will be able to assist you with the nearest location.
Methodist University houses the latest technologies for diagnosis and treatment, including several centers that are unique in the Mid-South.
- Brain and Spine Institute
- Transplant Institute
- Head and Neck Surgery Center
- Cardiovascular Institute
- Cancer Services in partnership with West Cancer Center
- Methodist University Radiation Oncology Center
- Thoracic surgery
- 24-hour emergency room
- Diabetes and endocrinology
- Eye plaque surgery
- Gastroenterology and GI surgery
- Rehabilitation services: Physical, speech and occupational therapy
- Surgical services: general, same day, minimally invasive, open heart
Clinical Awards & Accreditations
- U.S. News and World Report, Best Regional Hospital in Eight Specialties
- U.S. News and World Report, Best Hospital, Nephrology, #49
- The Joint Commission Accreditations
- Primary Stroke Center Advanced Certification
- Acute Myocardial Infarction Certification
- Cycle IV Chest Pain Center with Percutaneous Coronary Intervention (PCI) by the Society for Cardiovascular Patient Care
- Methodist Healthcare Blood and Marrow Transplant Center, a department of West Cancer Center by Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy (FACT)
- Cancer Program Accreditation by American College of Surgeons, Commission on Cancer
Methodist University Hospital broke ground on December 7, 2012, for a $33 million project to replace the existing Emergency Room. The new, two-story structure will increase efficiency, better serve patients and families, and become the “front door” for the hospital.
New ER Features
- Opening in fall 2014
- 93,000 square feet of new space
- 6,200 square feet of renovated space
- 16 additional patient treatment areas, for a total of 54
- Heliport relocated to new ER roof
- New ambulance entrance and parking on lower level
- Green building design standards
Photo: Construction for ER Renovation on March 31, 2014